Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Reading Crisis: Prologue

Would you, my illustrious readers, believe that I have never read Crisis on Infinite Earths?

Well, it's true.  But I am about to change that.

Over on the Two True Freaks! message board, there has been a lot of COIE talk over the last few months.  I made it known that I had never read the series, and asked if that hurt my credibility (yeah right).  My pal over in the UK Andrew Leyland (he of the awesome podcast Hey, Kids! Comics, which if you are not listening to YOU NEED TO BE LISTENING TO) got wind of this and, in a move of excellence the likes of which has rarely been duplicated, gave me his copy of the COIE trade paperback!  

Now I am going to document my first reading of this epic storyline.  I am going in with only the vaguest of notions of the story, the broad strokes which every comics reader knows.  The details will all be new to me.  And I hope you will enjoy my take on this seminal work as I read it for the first time.  

Next: The Summoning!

5 comments:

The Irredeemable Shag said...

You are dead to me. I can't have an adult conversation with you again until you finish that trade.

The Irredeemable Shag
http://firestormfan.com

Luke said...

Does the fact that I just got the classic Firestorm trade help any, Shag?

The Irredeemable Shag said...

You're on the right track, son. Now get CRISIS finished. And please don't tell me you haven't read THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS or WATCHMEN. If you haven't, then just lie to me and keep some dignity.

The Irredeemable Shag

Luke said...

I have read Watchmen. I don't really have much of an interest in The Dark Knight Returns, though. My MBAI* score is fairly low without the Outsiders.

(*Minimum Batman Appreciation Index)

Diabolu Frank said...

I'll be interested to see where you stand on COIE after you finish it. Read in 2012, it both freezes and melts ones brain.

Read The Dark Knight Returns. It's one of the great comic books, regardless of who starred in it. You may recall that my MBA is probably lower than yours, given the irrelevance of the Outsiders to my equations.