Monday, June 30, 2008

What I Read This Week


The Phantom #24 -- Did not read, as this was shorted to Borderlands by Diamond.  Evidently, Moonstone's time with the series is drawing to an end, which stinks.

Final Crisis #2 -- Morrison and Jones continue their deconstruction (of sorts) of the DC Universe as Dan Turpin finds himself closer to the truth than he realizes, the Justice League investigates the murder of a New God, and deep-rooted evil plans are partially revealed.  All this and Sonny Sumo!  I don't see what is so hard to understand about this series, honestly, as I can follow it fine and I am not neither a "DC Historian" nor a "DC Completist."  (And perhaps I should add for completeness sake that I am not a "DC Apologist," either.)  I am very much enjoying this series so far.

Caliber #3 -- I wish I could say the same about this one, though.  More lovely art paired with confusing storytelling, at least the general plot is easily digestable this time.  But so far this great concept has barely been scratched, and with only two issues remaining I am left disappointed so far.  

Conan The Cimmerian #0 -- A short introduction to the next phase of Conan's life, this features enough blood and carnage in it's short span to satisfy most feature-length stories.  Truman and Giorello have a good grasp on the character (colorist José Villarrubia's bold choice for the blood is also applauded) and seem to relish the idea of transitioning him into the mercenary/pirate era.  I do believe I will be checking this series out.

Project Superpowers #4 -- The (re)introduction of some interesting characters -- namely, The Flame, Hydro, and Pyroman -- make this installment more fun than the last.  That, and a more readable script which seems to finally have a sense of momentum rather than a series of vignettes.  I have been on the fence about this title lately, sometimes enjoying it and sometimes not, but for this month I am falling into the "enjoying" camp.  It will be very interesting to see how this series wraps things up for the revamped "Superpowers" universe we have been promised from Dynamite -- as well as whether or not that wrap-up will have me interested enough to invest any further time and money into it.

The Pick Of The Pile is Final Crisis, beating out strong competition in the form of Conan.  But Morrison and Jones' work is a superior effort and I eagerly await the next issue just to see what the heck is going to happen next, and that's a pretty ringing endorsement where I come from.

So what did YOU read this week?

1 comment:

Diabolu Frank said...

I've been following your opinions on Project Superpowers, and expect they'll weigh heavily on my purchase of the trade. I liked #0 at first, but the more I thought about it and saw preview pages for following issues, the more the premise stuck in my craw.