Monday, February 7, 2011

Unbridled Capitalism: Borderlands 2011

This past Saturday was the Big Annual Sale at Borderlands -- but this year was a little different.  First off, its the first one in several years during which I was not a regular customer, the first since the 2006 sale.  But this was also the first sale under the new ownership of the shop.  To the relief of nerds across South Carolina the sale still went on and most of the sale prices were the same.  So once more I partook of the capitalism and bought lots of comics!

Flash -- There was a gigantic pile of Wally West comics in the discount bins, and I could have spent twice as much as I did if I had the mind to do so.  So I instead went with ones which filled gaps rather than large empty swathes, including issues 16, 143, 146, 152, and 155.

Arak, Son Of Thunder -- I actually found a complete run of the series in the bins.  Like, every single issue. So I snagged issues 41, 46, 49, and 50 to complete my run of the title!  Woo woo woo, you know it!

Magnus, Robot Fighter -- The main problem with this series is that I find a lot of copies of the same issues I already have - a common Valiant dilemma.  But I did find a few ones I needed, adding numbers 23, 48-49, and 52.

Shellhead -- Now that I have the vast majority of Iron Man, I am hoping to have better luck finding the supporting titles, including War Machine, of which I picked up issues 4-5, 7, 12-16, 19-20, and 22.  I also found (for 33 cents, yikes!) the Iron Man 2020 GN, which should be fun, and Marvel Team-Up v.2 #11, with Shellhead and Namor.

Random Stuff -- Some unusual stuff this year, as always.  Marvel's John Carter, Warlord of Mars 15 and 27, since everyone likes Burroughs; Weird Suspense #1 featuring the Tarantula, which may be the first Atlas comic I have ever owned; Justice League of America #159, featuring the JLA, the JSA, and 5 heroes from history; the Green Lantern/Silver Surfer prestige format, which I might pass on to my GL-obsessed friend; the Phantom Stranger mini by Paul Kupperburg, which features my boy Eclipso; Phantom 2040 #1, because that show was awesome; and Dr. Doom and The Masters of Evil digest, which looks like a hoot.

Cerebus -- This was the real shocker for me.  Normally the sale includes a "$5 or half-off, whichever is less" trade paperback table.  And such a table was here this year, but the new owner looks to be clearing out stock because there was also a $1 trade table!  Mostly it was manga and other stuff of that nature which doesn't appeal to me.  But out of the corner of my eye I spotted a copy of Dave Sim's Cerebus; specifically, High Society.  So I snagged it.  That led to me finding a full ten more volumes, each at a buck apiece.  So I ended up v.2, and 5-14 for 11 dollars... which is impressive considering at retail that would be somewhere around $200.  I don't know when I will have the time to actually READ all of these, but I have them at least!

The sale itself was pretty crazy.  I don't remember standing in line this long before at a previous sale.  Last year was an outlier since there was a crazy snow and ice storm that day, but I don't remember any one being quite this bad.  I guess the new ownership must be happy with that!

No comments: