Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Unbridled Capitalism: Mr. K's for November

Made my way down to Mister K's yesterday for my monthly coupon visit, and snagged a couple of volumes I have been eyeing for a while.

Jack Kirby's Mister Miracle & Jack Kirby's Fourth World Featuring Mister Miracle -- I already have the Forever People volume in this style, which is a grey tone black and white.  Would I have preferred to have these in color?  Yes, but you can't beat the price, and as much as I dig Showcases and Essentials, I am on board with the black and white format.  Really, if I want color reference I can look it up.  If I could just find the New Gods volume I would have the entire set.

Of all of the New Gods, I think Mister Miracle has arguably enjoyed the most success, and I attribute this to his relatability.  All of the New Gods are pretty unique, but I think that most comic book readers can grasp the concept of an escape artist who can always find a way out of a trap.  Considering the villain deathtrap trope which used to be so prevalent in the 4 color world, this character concept makes perfect sense.  Couple this with his very memorable costume and you have a recipe for a character who will stick in people's minds.

On the non-comic front, I also picked up the second Star Trek: Titan novel, The Red King.  I just finished the first installment in the series, Taking Wing, last night, and now I am on the hunt for more.

No comments: