Monday, May 24, 2010

What I Read This Week


Creepy #3 -- Whatever Happened To Adolph Hitler?  Plus the conclusion of The Curse, a history of lycanthropy, and a man who invents a disintegrator.  Plenty of gruesome horror for Creepyheads... I just wish this would come out more regularly!

Brightest Day #2 -- The Martian Manhunter investigates the strange history of Dr. Erdel, the man who brought him to Earth, while Professor Stein and The Atom try to figure out how to seperate Ronnie and Jason from the Firestorm matrix.  Strong comics all the way through, with a heck of a cliffhanger.  The biggest flaw is the villain reveal which is surprisingly similar to the Black Manta teaser reveal from last issue!  Still, that aside, I really dig this series so far.

DC Universe: Legacies #1 -- In the days leading up to World War II, so-called "mystery men" begin to appear and multiply throughout the US, ushering a new era of heroism.  Len Wein and Andy & Joe Kubert handle these two tales of the old school Justice League (Sandman and Atom in the first story, and the Spectre and Dr. Fate in the second) in strong fashion, but something about this book fell flat to me.  I can't quite put my finger on it, but this was disappointing.

Tiny Titans #28 -- It's the Super Pet Club!  Any comic which makes Titano amusing gets my vote.  Look out for cameos by two intrepid reporters from the Daily Planet!

Avengers #1 -- Steve Rogers, "Top Cop Of The World" is organizing his Avengers teams, and the heavy-hitters are assembled in New York... just in time for Kang the Conqueror to arrive!  Is it bad that my main complaint of this issue is that Kang's electronic screen would have stopped Thor's hammer cold, just like it has for years?  Then again, if that is my main complaint then maybe F'n Bendis! is on the right track?  His dialogue still has it's annoying quirks, but this is a good Avengers story and a solid team.  I dig John Romita Jr's art but evidently I am in the minority on that one.  

Rescue #1 -- Pepper Potts has some down time in that basement in Oklahoma, and remembers a mission as Rescue which did not go well... as told by her deceased husband.  I would definitely read a Pepper Potts/Rescue book by Kelly Sue DeConnick, although Andrea Mutti's armor work needs improvement (her other stuff looks fine, but the armor just looks awkward).  Strong one-shot for a longtime supporting character, with a very nice little interview with DeConnick inside as well.

Re-Read Pile: Brightest Day, Avengers, Rescue.

The Pick Of The Pile is Avengers, followed closely by Brightest Day.  I thought F'n Bendis! and JRJr did a good job of re-launching the Avengers in a manner more like the Avengers I know and love.  Brightest Day was very strong as well, but I wanted more Hawks!

1 comment:

nyrdyv said...

I think the extreme cuteness of the Tiny Titans places it towards the top of the list, too.

Cheers!

Steven G. Willis
XOWComics.com