Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Holiday Blogging, Cont.

I hope everyone had a happy and safe Christmas, doing whatever it is you decided to do for it. My wife and I watched a lot of Christmas movies, since, really, when else can you watch them? I was lucky enough to receive several nerdy gifts, which I would like to share with all of you.

Showcase Presents: The Flash -- My wife got this for me without having to be prompted or otherwise given a hint, so I guess she does known me and my tastes after all. Once I finish the trade I am currently reading (Harvey Comics Classics Richie Rich), I am definitely going to be poring over this one for a while.

My brother sent me a large, unwrapped box containing, amongst other things, a pile of Vault of Horror and Haunt of Fear reprints. I'm a big fan of these olf ECs, as loyal readers well know, and these reprints are very accurate and substantially easier to get ahold of than the originals or the hardcover reprints. Between these, my collection of Magnus, Robot Fighter and my brother's previous gift of nearly a full run of Marvel's Robocop, I can safely avoid the back issue bins for some time.

My brother also got me the Fantastic Four: The Complete 1994-1995 Series DVD set. The first season, with it's inane theme music, is nothing special, but the second season is a very well made mid-90s Marvel cartoon, a nice sort of overview of the Lee-Kirby years on the First Family. Rounding out the wackiness from the 90s, my brother also got me a somewhat Mint on Card copy of everyone's favorite reptile-esque hero, the Crusading Chameleon. Tick, we hardly knew ye.

Finally, my mother in law got me a set of Star Wars M&Ms Christmas ornaments -- the Dark Side, specifically. Now I can look forward to M&M-ized versions of baddies such as Darth Vader and General Grevious adorning the tree next year. She also bought my wife a Marvel comics cocoa set featuring two group shot adorned mugs -- although if the cocoa contains unstable molecules or not I do not know.

So did any of YOU get any geeky gifts this season?

3 comments:

Damian said...

Very nice haul of comics you got yourself there.

The adults in my family only shop for the youngins (which there are plenty of), and being an rabid B-list collector, it's not easy to get something for me that doesn't cost at least $7,000 dollars (see Alex Ross's Atom for sale).

My wife nicked a sketch of mine and had it framed, and provided several other frames for my unframed pieces of geekery! So that was a great call, and certain helped further my serious levels of geekiness.

Rick L. Phillips said...

Sounds like you got a lot of good stuff Luke. I got a couple of those black and white reprint books, the Adventures of Superman cartoon on DVD and Spiderman 3. I also got an Archie Digest as a stocking stuffer.

Adama said...

Let's see. I got a few comic related bits from my father (hotwheels cars and such) and my brother gave a copy of Justice League Europe #1 (yay Animal Man, Ralph Dibny and Rocket Red!). Speaking of Rocket Red, I picked up his JLU action figure as a present to myself. As Luke kindly pointed out, I'm probably the first and only person to actually purchase that particular fig.