Tuesday, August 28, 2007

What I Read This Week

Detective Comics #835 -- I remember when Scarecrow was redesigned on Batman: The Animated Series, Bruce Timm talked about finally making him look scary and not just lumpy. This issue (part 1 of a 2 part "fill-in" by John Rozum and Tom Mandrake) translates that attitude to the printed medium. Dr. Crane has never been freakier.

All-New Atom #14 -- Easily the best story I have ever read starring Jason Todd. Even without that dubious distinction, this is a fun little tale which features Barry Allen, Ted Kord, and Jetpack Hitler, so that's pretty much a "thumbs up."

Acton Comics #853 -- Jimmy Olsen is MISTER ACTION! I guess it's appropriate that he's the star in this title. Very traditionally written and paced -- I'm a mark, so I wouldn't mind if all my superhero comics read like this. The last page arrival cracked me up. Also; Tobias Whale!

Outsiders: Five of a Kind #3 -- Thunder and Martian Manhunter, woo! At first I didn't like Thunder but she has grown on me, and J'Jonn seems to be back to his old self (with a new costume). The art is very "90's dynamic" but I like Bedard's scripting, leading me to think I will enjoy the new series.

Outsiders: Five of a Kind #4 -- Is it bad that my main complaint for this issue was that Aquaman had the wrong color eyes? Or that this had a lot more Metamorpho, who I can take or leave, than it did Aquaman, who is awesome? Good solid little story with pretty art and a nice epilogue.

Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes #33 -- I liked the action quotient in this issue, and Brainiac 5 being a smartass, but the payoff doesn't jive in my mind. What was the motivation of the bad guys to take over the planet with mind control? What were they hoping to achieve? Disappointing after the last issue.

Superman #666 -- "Superdickery" gets taken to new heights of depravity as Superman gives in and cuts loose on every little annoying thing in the world. Simonson's art is the perfect match for this tale of temptation and corruption by Busiek, who is fast becoming a Super-Scribe. The prologue, featuring Hawkman, Animal Man, and Aquaman, was a nice extra.

Annihilation: Conquest: Star Lord #2 -- It's the Suicide Squad... in space!!! Not as wacky as the first issue but overall almost as fun to read, and with a development which makes readers of the first Annihilation sit up and say "why didn't I think of that?" Very much looking forward to the main series.

Annihilation: Conquest: Quasar #2 -- The energy-sword wielding space lesbian battles alien bugs and a giant robot on a remote world before discovering her psionic-powered lover has turned into a dragon. I feel the need to once again state that no, this comic book is not Japanese.

Iron Man #21 -- Has Shellhead ever been shown in Omaha before? The Legions of Iron Fans in Nebraska finally have their dreams come true as Tony must investigate why Graviton attacked the Initiative's team in Husker Country. Machinations upon machinations as the Knaufs ignore World War Hulk and get back to the actual story. You know. With Iron Man.

Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis #55 -- There's only 2 issues left after this one, but that's not stopping Tad Williams from introducing new concepts, catching up with old threads, making threats to the world, and bringing in guest stars! How can there only be 2 issues left?!

Justice League of America #12 -- Probably the best issue of Metzler's run, and no, I am not just damning him with faint praise here. The plot points are driven home with a sledgehammer, but its the framing story which has me more interested. Just what is going on there?!

CLASH #1 -- The concept -- that superheroes have taken control of the world and instituted a "utopia," and are opposed by regular citizens -- appealed to me, but the execution of it is confusing and unsatisfying. Hard to follow, with a lot of characters, but not a lot of character, if you follow my meaning. Still, I'm going to stick with it, partially to see if it improves, and partially to support Moonstone, who puts out some quality stuff (see: The Phantom).

Flash #231 -- Some things annoyed me (why, when talking about how Wally vanished, is there absolutely no mention whatsoever of Bart?!!) and some things took some getting used to (the kids, the art), but overall a fun return for Wally and Waid. Doesn't seem to be taking itself too seriously, and that's a good thing.

Friday the 13th: Pamela's Tale #2 -- The previous issue was pretty neat, showing Pamela's backstory, but this one, which essentially fills in some gaps from her origin around the flashbacks in Friday the 13th, is less interesting. I liked how the end tied back into the film (a wink to hardcore fans), but overall I felt let down.

Terror, Inc. #1 -- He's missing the thingys on his face, but he is called Schrek, so that says TERROR, INC. to me! I know this is MAX and thus might not be in continuity, but if this is Terror's current status in the MU, consider me pumped. Really, really fun stuff if you can deal with the horror-esque content.

Booster Gold #1 -- I like Dan Jurgens work as a general rule -- I got into Superman when he was the head Super-Guy. And this story, wherein Booster can finally do some good and make a difference, reaffirms that. Ranks right up with Justice Society of America and Nova as a launch issue in the past year.

Pick of The Pile is Superman. Yeah, its probably cliched of me to say that, but I really enjoyed reading it and I think it's got a very timeless sort of feel to it which will give it legs. Second place is Iron Man, which shows the right way to tell political-style stories at Marvel.

1 comment:

rob! said...

that JLA issue intrigued me, too--the dialogue at the end seems to be indicating its the classic Aquaman, but visually it looks like the new one....?