Monday, January 24, 2011

Giving Something Back

Have a bunch of extra comics sitting in a spare longbox or printer box, or even piled up on the bottom of your closet?  Who doesn't these days?  Not sure what to do with them?  Not interested in dealing with eBay or trying to sell them through Craigslist or at an LCS?  Not really keen on paying the big bucks to ship them to an online charity?  At the end of your rope and ready to go bonkers insane trying to figure this out?!

Have you considered donating them to your local children's hospital?

I took some 350-odd comic books ranging from the early 70s straight on through 2010 over to the Greenville Hospital Systems Children's Hospital today (after some snafus with the directions).  This is the culmination of a couple of weeks worth of effort of culling down the comics I wanted to donate -- including taking out the Mature Readers books and anything else which might not be age appropriate.  The final result runs the gamut from Superman to Power Man & Iron Fist to Silver Surfer to Avengers and all sorts of other stuff in between.  It's quite a substantial pile of comics, as I discovered while lugging it from the parking garage to the front desk.  

My personal goal from this was to not only get these books out of my house in an effort to cull things down, but also to pass on these comics to kids who really could use a break from reality.  And if I can help contribute to the conversion of a few new young readers, well, that's all the better, right?  I am hoping to get some pictures of the kids reading the stash at some point; I'll be sure to share if I do.

So if you just don't know what to do with all those unwated old comics you got, why not skip the capitalism and go for charity instead?

1 comment:

Doug said...

I frequently review books that I wouldn't normally buy and have been splitting the donations between the local library and my oldest's school where the lit teacher teaches about comics for an entire marking period every other year.

Children's Hospital, however, speaks to me as a new cause. . .

Thanks Luke!