Thursday, January 8, 2009

Unbridled Capitalism: Killing Time


One of the real and tangible benefits of having a local comic book shop close to your work is that when you need to kill an hour, you can kill an hour surrounded by 4 Color goodness.  So when my wife needed me to wait a while before picking her up from work, well, that presents itself as a golden opportunity to do some discount bin diving!  Let's see what we were able to find!

Hawkman: One of the problems of being a Hawkman collector is that none of his series have ever sold all that well.  Which means that there is a substantially lower chance of finding his comics in discount bins.  Compare this to, say, a 90s Marvel mutant title (which I will get to in a bit).  Anyways, I did manage to find one issue, #15 from the second (Shadow War) volume.  The series only lasted a couple of issues past this issue, and by this point Tony Isabella was off the title, but hey, more Hawkman is more Hawkman!

The Flash: Now, the Scarlet Speedster is much easier to find in back issue bins.  I mean, that's one of the Flash's main traits, isn't it?  Sells good as a back issue?  Anywho, a little patience and a lot of digging yielded good results, as I was able to net some issues from Volume 2: #42, and #45-49.  Run, Wally, run!

Other Stuff: I mentioned "90's Marvel mutant title" up above, and one of my favorites from that period was X-Factor.  In fact, at the time, it was my favorite, even more than Excalibur, if you can believe it.  I pretty found the entire run from the debut of the new, Havok-lead team straight through the Phalanx Covenant storyline.  Now, despite G Kendall's best efforts to rekindle my nostalgia, I passed and only bought one issue (I sold these comics off once already, after all) -- #87, which, of course, is the classic "X-Aminations" issue.

Further oddness from my youth was found in Book Five of Alan Moore's throwback 1963 series.  This was another series that I had all of and had to sell off, much to my later regret.  Slowly but surely I am rebuilding it, and in the last few months have acquired 2/3rds of the six published issues.  Book Five features Horus, Lord Of Light for those curious.

All in all a well spent $9, if I don't say so myself.  Looking forward to digging in to all of these in coming months (and years, knowing the way I operate).

1 comment:

SUBZERO said...

Hi fellow blogger !

I wanted to ask about doing a link exchange ( I put a link in my permanent link section for your blog and you do the same for my blog on yours ) since I haven´t that many links on my blog. And to pimp my own blog of course.

You can find Germany´s best comicblog at www.talesfromthekryptonian.blogspot.com

Hope to hear from you soon,

SUBZERO