Monday, February 8, 2010

What I Read This Week


Doom Patrol #7 -- On Oolong Island, the aftermath of the Black Lanterns is being cleaned up, while elsewhere the foes of the Doom Patrol are making moves in the shadows.  As for the Metal Men, th-th-that's all folks!  Well, the end of the Metal Men back up is a downer to me.  I enjoyed their goofy hijinks each month.  But I am glad that the Doom Patrol, which always has been the "A" feature of this title to me, is continuing on.  Anyways, this is a quiet issue, sort of a transition to the next storyline.  We do get some action in the form of Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man and an introduction of both Thayer Jost and Crazy Jane, but overall it's a pretty staid issue.  I am digging this new take on the Patrol but it seems like the book might be on it's last legs sales-wise.  Disappointing.

Showcase Presents: Secrets of Sinister House -- Obviously I did not get a chance to sit down and read this guy, but I just wanted to mention that the fact that this exists and that I own it is indeed awesome.

Indomitable Iron Man -- Four mighty features all starring the Golden Avenger in one black and white super issue!  You pretty much had me at that sentence, I think.  Anyways, we do get 3 strips and a text story, all focusing on different times in Shellhead's career.  A fun one-shot, and I am always a sucker for black and white comics, especially in the second feature, written and drawn by Howard Chaykin.

Mighty Avengers #33 -- At Project Pegasus, Hank Pym's Avengers and Norman Osborn's Avengers are both faced with a dilemma: the Absorbing Man wielding the power of a Cosmic Cube!  Slott and Pham are game on this big blowout battle, with plenty of Cosmic Cube gags (for instance, Ms. Marvel at one point laments being "reality punched" and expresses her disdain for how that works).  A good fight issue but nothing overly substantial.  It seems that Slott doesn't care much for USAgent, either.  Not sure how much longer this creative team will be handling this crew but I am enjoying them for now.

Re-read Pile: Doom Patrol, Indomitable Iron Man, Mighty Avengers.

I have plenty other stuff to read, but it's sitting, unread, on my nightstand.  Oh well.

The Pick Of The Pile is Indomitable Iron Man, which combined three things I generally dig: Iron Man, black and white comics, and oversized issues.  Can't go wrong with that!

No comments: